The Stafford Hotel is located on Washington Place in Baltimore, Maryland. The hotel was designed by architect Charles E. Cassell. The Roman brick, Richardsonian/Romanesque style building was opened in November of 1894 in the Mount Vernon district of Baltimore. It quickly became one of the city's major hotels and hosted many major figures through the years. In 1936 author F. Scott Fitzgerald moved into the hotel after a stay at The Cambridge Arms Apartments. It would be his last home in the city, moving to Hollywood the following year.