Colonel Short's Villa is located on Fourth Street in the Garden District of New Orleans, Louisiana. It sits on land that once belonged to the Livaudais Plantation. In 1832 the land was subdivided and sold in smaller units. Colonel Robert H. Short had his side-hall mansion constructed in 1859, designed by architect Henry Howard in the Italianate style. During the Civil War the house was seized by Federal troops in the city. In March of 1864 the villa was used as the executive mansion for Michael Hahn, the Federal Governor of Louisiana. Major General Nathaniel P. Banks, U.S. Commander, Department of the Gulf, then occupied the home for the remainder of the war, turning it over to Colonel Short in August, 1865. Colonel Short lived here until his death in 1890. The distinctive cast iron cornstalk fence which surrounds the property was supplied by Philadelphia's Wood and Miltenberger.