The Blue Swallow Motel is located on East Route 66 in Tucumcari, New Mexico. Originally known as the Blue Swallow Court, it was constructed by W. A. Huggins in 1939 and first opened in 1940. The structure consisted of 12 units in an L-shaped design, surrounding the main office, with garage units located between the rooms. Owners throughout the years have modernized certain aspects of the motel, including the electrical and phone systems, but the original facade and historic touches remain intact. The motel has been in continuous use since it first opened, even when Interstate 40 bypassed Tucumcari in the 1970's. In recent years it underwent restoration and is now considered a Route 66 icon. The Blue Swallow Motel was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.