The Hodges House is located on Essex Street in Salem, Massachusetts. The home was built by Captain John Hodges in 1750. The West Indies trader lived here until his death in 1788, when the home passed onto his son, Captain Benjamin Hodges. Hodges was a noted local sea captain who gained fame during the years following the Revolution. Among his noted achievements was the founding of Salem's East India Marine Society, which today is known as the Peabody-Essex Museum. A later occupant of the house was noted American Impressionist painter Frank W. Benson, who was norn in Salem in 1862 and spent time here in the early 1870's. There is a marker on the right side of the house discussing its history.