The Derby House is located on Derby Street in Salem, Massachusetts. The Georgian Style structure was built in 1762 and was the home of Elias Haskett Derby, a local merchant, and his wife, Elizabeth Crowninshield Derby. They would live here for twenty years, during which time Elias would begin to amass a fortune that would eventually place him in the top forty richest Americans of all time. While living here during the Revolution, he helped supply privateers, eventually launching his own ship, The Grand Turk, in 1781. In 1796 Derby sold the home to Captain Henry Prince, who owned the West India Goods Store, which still sits next to the home. From the time Prince sold the home in 1827 in was used as a tenement house for immigrants. The Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities purchased the home in the early 1900's and restored the home to its original look. In 1937 the home was given to the Salem Maritime National Historic Site.