The Old Corner Bookstore is located at the intersection of Washington Street and School Street in Boston, Massachusetts. Built by apothecary Thomas Crease in 1712 it is the oldest commercial building in the city. Crease lived in the home and operated his business from the first floor. It eventually was known as the Crease House. Over the years it became the Brimmer Mansion and then in 1816 was turned back into an apothecary shop by Dr. Samuel Clarke. The building was first used as a bookshop in 1828 by Carter and Hendee, then, more famously, by Ticknor and Fields from 1833 to 1864. Ticknor and Fields was a leading publisher in its day, and the building played host to many noted authors, including Nathaniel Hawthorne, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau, Louis May Alcott, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Charles Dickens, Oliver Wendell Holmes and Harriet Beecher Stowe. The bookstore was scheduled for demolition in 1960, but was saved and restored, and is now a feature on Boston's Freedom Trail. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.