The Hartwell Tavern is an historic structure which sits at the intersection of North Great Road and Bedford Lane in Lincoln, Massachusetts. It was built built circa 1733 for Ephraim and Elizabeth Hartwell and was maintained as a home by them until 1756, when Ephraim received a license to operate it as an inn. The tavern is located along Battle Road in Minute Man National Historical Park and was a witness to the British retreating to Charlestown on August 19, 1775 during the opening day of the Revolutionary War. The Hartwells operated their inn until the 1780's and over the years it reverted back to a residence. The National Park Service bought the structure in 1967 and restored it to its 1775 appearance.