St. Mary's Industrial School For Boys was located on Wilkens Avenue in Baltimore, Maryland. It was here that young Babe Ruth lived from 1902 to 1914. The incorrigible youth was sent here by his parents, primarily to get him off the streets and find some direction for the wayward boy. The school opened in 1866 and was primarily and orphanage and boarding school. All the children here, ranging from 5 to 21, were expected to contribute to the care of the facility, learn trades and became productive. The school was supervised by the Xaverian Brothers, who enforced a strict disciplinary code among the students. Young Ruth took to baseball while living here, although the exact nature of his initial calling is unknown. He was, however, mentored by a man who would have a great impact on his life, Brother Matthias Boutlier. Brother Matthias supported Ruth and encouraged him, and as the years went on, Ruth's skill in the game progressed. The young pitcher was so talented that he somehow was able to sign a minor league contract with the Baltimore Orioles before the mandatory age of 21 release from the school ended. In 1919 a fire ravaged the school, destroying most of it's Victorian architecture. Ruth contributed time and money to the school's restoration, which involved a basic rebuilding of the entire facility. In 1950 the school closed it's doors, opening again in 1962 as Cardinal Gibbons. The field where Ruth played as a boy was preserved and named Babe Ruth Field. The school closed again in 2010.