The Carroll Mansion is located on East Lombard Street in Baltimore, Maryland. The Federal Style home was built in 1808. Richard Caton purchased the home in 1818. He was the husband of Mary Carroll, daughter of Charles Carroll of Carrollton who, as a member of the Continental Congress, was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence in 1776. He was also elected to the Maryland State Senate in 1781, retiring from public service in 1801. He spent the last 12 years of his life in this mansion, where he died on November 14, 1832. He was the last remaining signer of the Declaration of Independence and, at the age of 95, the longest lived. Richard Caton and his family lived on in the mansion until 1846. From that time forward the house has been a shop, school, recreation center, and museum. In 1962 the mansion was saved from destruction by Mayor Theodore McKeldin. It was restored and opened as a museum in 1967, which it has remained, off and on, since. The mansion was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.