The Hay-Adams Hotel is located on 16th Street in Washington, D.C. The historic hotel stands on the site of the homes of John Hay and Henry Adams. Hay was the personal secretary to Abraham Lincon, then Secretary of State, and Ambassador to Great Britain. Adams was a Harvard professor and a noted historian. Both men lived in homes here designed in 1884 by architect Henry Hobson Richardson. After the two families moved out the land was purchased in 1927 by developer Harry Wardman, who razed the two homes and built the Italian Renaissance Hay-Adams House hotel, which opened in 1928. In 1936 the hotel was purchased by Julius Manger, a hotel operator, and renamed the Manger Hay-Adams Hotel. In 1973 it was sold to Sheldon Magazine, a local developer, and renamed the Hay-Adams. Guests over the years have included Amelia Earhart, Charles Lingbergh, author Sinclair Lewis and actress Ethel Barrymore.