The Whittier Mansion is located on Jackson Street in San Francisco, California. It was built for William Franklin Whittier, shipping magnate and co-founder of the Fuller O'Brien Paint Company, in 1896. The home was designed by architect Edward R. Swain and was built of Arizona sandstone over a steel framework. Whittier lived in the masnion until his death in 1917. The mansion was infamously sold to the Nazi party in April of 1941 and used as the German Consulate until the bombing of Pearl Harbor in December of that year when it was seized by the U.S. Government. The home served as the headquarters of The California Historical Society from 1956 to 1991. Today it is a private residence and reportedly haunted. The home has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is San Francisco Designated Landmark #75.