The Weatherford Hotel is located on North Leroux Street in Flagstaff, Arizona, one block off Historic Route 66. Due to a spate of fires in the area in the late 1890's all buildings were required to be constructed of brick. With this in mind entrpreneur John Weatherford built his first hotel on this spot in 1897. He redesigned the building in 1899, sensing that the nearby railroad station was bringing in more visitors to the Grand Canyon who would need a palce to stay. The new hotel, with restaurant and amenities, re-opened in 1900. For many years it was the premier hotel in Flagstaff, with the likes of William Randolph Hearst and Western author Zane Grey as guests. Grey would be a frequent visitor to the area, and the hotel, over the years. He worked on his novel The Call of the Canyon (1924) while staying in the hotel. His room is now know as the Zane Grey Ballroom. The hotel was modified over the years and hit a low point in the 1970's, as Flagstaff fell on hard times. Since that point, however, the hotel hasbeen renovated and restored and is still in operation. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.