The Thoreau-Alcott house is located on Main Street in Concord, Massachusetts. It was the home of both Henry David Thoreau and Louis May Alcott. The house was built by Josiah Davis in 1849 and the following year Thoreau and his family moved into the home. He became a land surveyor and continued with his writing and travelling. In 1854 he published his most famous work, Walden, which told of his two-year long stay at Walden Pond from 1845 to 1847. In 1835 he contracted tuberculosis and suffered from it throughout his life. In 1860 when he came down with Bronchitis the combination of both diseases began to take their toll. For the next two years he continued to revise his works, many of which were published posthumously. On May 6, 1862, he passed away here at his home. In 1877 the house was purchased by Louisa May Alcott. She lived here with her father, Amos Bronson Alcott, and recently divorced sister, Anna Alcott Pratt. During her time here Alcott wrote the novel Jo's Boys (1886), a sequel to her famous Little Women. The family would eventually relocate once again to Boston. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.