The Ebenezer Hancock House is located on Marshall Street in Boston, Massachusetts. It is the only extant structure in the city associated with John Hancock. Hancock inherited part of the land from his Uncle Thomas in 1763 and purchased other parcels himself to make up the land upon which the house was built sometime after 1767. By 1776 his brother, Ebenezer, was occupying the house. Due to John's influence, Ebenezer was appointed the Deputy Paymaster General of the Continental Army, and in this position was responsible for disbursing funds to the troops. Hancock sold the house in 1785. From 1798 to 1963 the building had an uninterrupted run as a shoe dealership. Other floors were occupied over the years by a tavern, officer's club and boarding house. The Ebenezer Hancock house is one of only half a dozen homes in downtown Boston which pre-date the Revolution.