The Players Club is on Gramercy Park South. The founder of the club, Edwin Booth, was considered by many to be one of the finest stage actors of his day, best known for his rendition of Hamlet. He had been appearing on the stage and was a well known figure for many years in New York by the time he founded The Players in 1888, a theatrical club which centered on his Gramercy Park home, built in 1847, with interiors and partial exteriors redesigned by noted architect Stanford White. He passed away on June 7, 1893 in his room here and it has remained untouched to this day. Mark Twain, going through a period of bankrupty, lived at the Players from September 1893 to April 1894, where he rented a small room, which he maintained while traveling back and forth to Europe. The Players was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1963.