John Barrymore's home is on West 4th Street in New York City. The actor lived in the penthouse of this red brick apartment, near Washington Square in Greenwich Village, from 1917 - 1920. During his time here he switched between plays and films. Most notably in April 1917 he starred with his brother, Lionel Barrymore, in Peter Ibbestson, then a year later, in 1918, he starred in a production of Redemption. At the end of 1919 he again appeared with Lionel in The Jest. His screen work at the time included On The Quiet in 1918 and The Test of Honor in 1919. He began filming Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde toward the end of 1919 and when released in 1920 it made him a star of the screen. Prior to moving into this apartment his wife Katherine sued him for divorce. By the end of 1917 the divorce had been granted, at which time he had been courting Blanche Oelrichs, a married suffragist. The two would eventually marry in August 1921. Barrymore built a cottage on the roof, just above his apartment, which also included a garden with a pool and trees. While the ecoutrements are long gone, the cottage still stands.