The Mark Twain House and Museum is located on Farmington Avenue in Hartford, Connecticut. In 1873 author Samuel Clemens, a.k.a. Mark Twain, hired architecht Edward Tuckerman Potter to design a house for him and his wife, Olivia, to be built on a plot of land he purchased on Farmington avenue in Hartford. Construction began in August of 1873 and cost nearly $45,000. Clemens moved in on September 19, 1874. For the next seventeen years he and his wife and three daughters would call Hartford home. Although he did most of his writing at the summer home in Elmira, NY, many of his best known works were published while living here. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Life On The Mississippi, The Prince And The Pauper, A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court and The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn were all released during his time in Hartford. After bad investments brought him to bankruptcy he moved the family to Europe in 1891. After his daughter Susy died from meningitis during a visit to home, he never set foot in the house again.