Rosecliff is located on Bellevue Avenue in Newport, Rhode Island. The architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White were commissioned by silver heiress Theresa Fair Oelrichs to design her a summer home in 1898. The home was finished in 1902 and Oelrichs became one of the great hostesses of Newport society. Rosecliff stayed in the Oelrichs family until 1941. In 1947 it was bought by J. Edgar Monroe, a ship builder from New Orleans. In 1971, Mr. and Mrs. Monroe donated the entire estate with its contents and a $2 million operating endowment to the Preservation Society of Newport County.