Marble House is located on Bellevue Avenue in Newport, Rhode Island. It was built was built as a summer retreat for William Kissam Vanderbilt and his wife, Alva Vanderbilt. The mansion was constructed between 1888 and 1892 at a cost of $11 million, 7 million of which went to the 500,000 cubic feet of marble used. William gave Alva Marble House for her 39th birthday. The Vanderbilts divorced in 1895, and Alva remarried Oliver Hazard Perry Belmont in 1896, and moved down the street to Belmont's mansion, Belcourt. When he died she relocated back to Marble House. Alva closed the mansion permanently in 1919, when she moved to France to be with her daughter, Consuelo Balsan. In 1932 she sold the house to Frederick H. Prince. In 1963 the Preservation Society of Newport County bought the house from the Prince Trust. Marble House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 2006.