Ulysss S. Grant's home is on Bouthiller Street in Galena, Illinois. Upon his return from the Civil War in 1865, the general was given this Italianate style brick house by a small group of Republicans in the city. Grant lived here for three years, until he left for his term as President in 1869. He would only make sporadic appearances in the city thereafter. In 1904 the house was given to the City of Galena to be used as a memorial to Grant. In 1931 the house was then given to the State of Illinois.