The LaLaurie Mansion is located on Royal Street in New Orleans, Louisiana. The land on which the mansion sits was purchased in 1831 by Delphine LaLaurie, a New Orleans-born socialite who had married her third husband, Leonard LaLaurie, in 1825. The three-story mansion was completed in 1832 and the couple lived there with their two daughters until 1834. On April 10 of that year a fire broke out in the mansion and when rescuers arrived it was found that several slaves in the slave quarter section of the house had been strung up and horribly mutilated and that Madame LaLaurie had been responsible for the savage treatment. Apparently during the mob scene that followed she was able to escape and eventually fled to Paris.