The Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site is located on N. 7th Street in Philadelphia. Of the several Philadelphia residences of the famed horror writer, this is the only one to survive. He rented the home in 1843 and remained on the property with his wife, Virginia Clemm, and his mother-in-law, Maria Clemm until April, 1844, when they moved to New York. The house is located in the former Spring Garden district in northern Philadelphia, at what was then 234 N. 7th Street, near the intersection of Brandeywine Alley. Although Poe wrote some of his most famous works during his time in Philadelphia, including The Gold Bug, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Black Cat and The Murders In The Rue Morgue, it is difficult to attribute any of them to his time in the house. The property was purchased in 1933 by Richard Gimbel, of the Gimbel's Department Store family, who restored the home as a museum. In 1978 the National Park Service took over the property.