The Longfellow House - Washington's Headquarter National Historic Site is located on Brattle Street in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The house was built in 1759, for John Vassall, who lived here with his family until 1774, when they moved to Boston. After the formation of the Continental Army, Commander in Chief George Washington originally house his headquarters at Harvard, but needing more space for his staff, eventually moved here in July, 1775. Martha Washington joined her husband here in December, and they reained until April, 1776. Poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow rented a room in the home from 1837 to 1843, when he was a professor of modern languages at Harvard. Upon his marriage in 1843, he and his wife Fannie Appleton were given the home as a wedding present from her father. He composed most of hos famous works while living here, including "Paul Revere's Ride," "The Village Blacksmith," "Evangeline," "The Song of Hiawatha," and "The Courtship of Miles Standish." He remained here until his death on March 24, 1882. The family continued living here until 1913 when the Longfellow House Trust was established. In 1962 the house was declared a National Historic Landmark, and in 1972 the Trust donated the house to the National Park Service, who turned it into the museum it operates as today.